Opened as Crofthead: 5th October, 1855. Renamed Neilston: 1st June, 1868. Closed: 1st May, 1870. Reopened: 27th March, 1871. Renamed Neilston Low: 24th January, 1953. Closed: 7th November, 1966.
Neilston Low Station was opened by the Glasgow, Barrhead & Neilston Direct Railway as Crofthead on 5th October, 1855, and served the town of Neilston in East Renfrewshire. The station was renamed Neilston on 1st June, 1868; however, it was closed shortly after, on 1st May, 1870. It reopened on 27th March, 1871, and became part of the Glasgow, Barrhead & Kilmarnock Joint Railway. It was renamed Neilston Low on 24th January, 1953, and closed permanently on 7th November, 1966. Today, the former Glasgow, Barrhead & Neilston Direct Railway forms the northern section of the Glasgow & South Western Main Line from Glasgow to Carlisle via Kilmarnock and Dumfries.
Ex-LMSR Class 7P Royal Scot 4-6-0 No. 46109 Royal Engineer heads the 9.5pm sleeping car train from Glasgow St. Enoch to London St. Pancras through Neilston Low Station on the 1-in-70 towards Shilford Summit on 13th June, 1956. [W.A.C. Smith]